ABOUT THE ROLE
||Technical and Delivery Manager
||Head of Storage
||Permanent – Full time
||65k depending on experience
Purpose of the role: Why this role is important to Origami
Origami Energy Ltd is an ambitious new technology company aiming to provide the technology and financial mechanisms (i.e. the marketplace) to connect, control and actively manage a large network of existing energy generating / energy using / energy storing products connected to the electricity grid.
Under a separate division, Origami Storage are developing and growing a portfolio of energy storage assets that provide fast and reliable flexibility into this marketplace. This involves an ambition to become a leading developer of energy storage, including but not limited to, battery systems.
This delivery role is an integral part of the storage team and is critical in providing engineering and technical leadership and assurance across a range of areas relating to the development and delivery of energy storage solutions at a range of voltage levels. The role requires a broad range of technical and commercial expertise and a degree of flexibility, including taking the lead on establishing a portfolio of suitable storage technology partnerships, the review and assurance of technical designs, oversight of suppliers’ configuration and delivery/integration into customer sites or renewable installations and connection to the distribution or transmission grid.
The candidate will have the opportunity to help expand and roll out energy storage, building and leading a technical delivery team to support the ambitious growth plans of Origami storage. The role includes line management of a project engineer.
Key Deliverables & Responsibilities:
- Establishing and maintaining partnerships with key technology suppliers, including HV power electronics (inverters) and energy storage systems – both technical and commercial development
- Technology specifications development
- Responsibility for the delivery of storage projects, ensuring time, quality and budget expectations are met
- Assurance and evaluation of technical proposals of HV storage systems
- Site feasibility assessments
- Ensure timely delivery of grid connection aspects of site deployments that best meet commercial requirements
- Ownership of site electrical designs and configurations for integration of storage, including for e.g. balance of plant and auxiliary equipment such as transformers, switchgear and protection
- Ensure that safety risks are managed effectively
- Lead on the creation of standard procedures and policies that can be used to efficiently scale up storage rollout, creating standard storage technology propositions
Qualifications and Experience:
A strong electrical engineering background, ideally to degree level, and at least 5 years’ of relevant work experience in one or more of the below:
- A robust understanding of power systems engineering
- A robust understanding of technical project delivery and project management methodologies
- Experience in leading both technical and commercial engagement with suppliers of energy storage and/or other HV electrical equipment, including for e.g. technical solution review, contract and warranty negotiation
- Experience in the specification, design, tendering or operation of HV electrical equipment for energy storage installations, such as transformers, switchgear, protection (preferably inverters and/or battery energy storage systems)
- Good understanding of the electricity industry (preferably in a renewable or other generation organisation, DNO innovation, or the wider electricity market);
- Competence in identifying and resolving a range of technical power systems engineering issues for networks (preferably incorporating LV through to 33kV;
- Appreciation of health and safety of HV electrical equipment and assets
- Excellent electrical engineering/power systems expertise
- Organised and strong attention to detail in managing projects
- Ability to work effectively with engineering organisations and customers/stakeholders representing Origami to best effect, on both a technical and commercial basis
- Self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity. Thrives on a fast moving, uncertain environment
- Seeks out relevant background work to understand best practice and build on others work
- Good interpersonal skills; an ability to organise and manage meetings, and communicate clearly and confidently at all levels of the organisation.
- High level planning and organisation skills, with the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Team player, able to work both individually and on team projects